Hey Divas! It’s Thursday which means tomorrow is Friday and for some of us payday! Whoop whoop! But today as you know is #TransformThursday and I want to give you some tips to strengthen your core. When you have a strong core you can definitely transform your body.
Your core includes all the muscles in your torso, from your shoulders down to your hips. So you need more than crunches and sit-ups to strengthen your core but almost any full-body movement works your core to some degree if you do it in good form. Here’s some ways to strengthen your core and exercise examples:
- You have to hold your core steady. Exercises like planks, rows and push-ups with good form (where your body is in a perfect plank all the way down) are good exercises for this.
- You use one arm or one leg so that your core has to adjust to the lopsided forces. Bird dogs and starfish crunches are perfect examples.
- You hold a weight on one side of your body, to amp up the one-arm or one-leg challenge. Dumbbell rows or presses with one arm at a time engages your core to keep you from falling over. Single leg deadlifts are a good example as well.
- You twist your body to make the move happen. Woodchoppers, where use a weight or cable to pull it diagonally across your body as if you are chopping wood. And of course can’t forget the Russian twist.
- You use an unstable platform. Instead of planking with your forearms on the floor, put them on a medicine ball, exercise ball, or bosu instead. This will definitely engage your core.
With these moves, you don’t have to set aside a time to work your core. You’ll be working your core right along with the rest of your body when you do these exercises. Basically, to sum it up: ab exercises are not the only thing that strengthens your core. Pretty much every exercise you do involves the core. So don’t over-exhaust yourself trying to do 500 crunches and 500 sit-ups a day.
Those are my tips for the day and I hope they were helpful! Have an awesome day Divas and don’t forget to get GLAMfit!